Thursday, January 3, 2008

Throw a "ME" Party!

If I've learned anything the past year, it's the importance of taking care of yourself. I've learned hard lessons about how much good we do everyone else when we don't do any good for ourselves. It was my belief that being a single mom meant that my personal health, whether mental, physical or emotional, should be shoved to the side. I've since figured out that when I take the time for myself, I'm much more apt to take the time for my son.....and I'm happier to do it. I'm relaxed and when I am, my son benefits from it just as much as I do.

So, every other weekend when my son visits with his dad for the night, I plan my "reverie". I go to the video store and rent CSI and Gilmore Girls re-runs, buy junk food especially for me, then head home for a bath before I sit back in my comfy jammies and just give myself some lazy time. This recipe is what I use in my bath and wow.....I love it. Be careful when getting out, though...it tends to make the bottom of the tub slippery (make sure you rinse the tub out as well since these are home ingredients, don't want any buggie friends ruining your "me" party).

Brown Sugar Scrub

What you'll need:

  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup oil (coconut or olive)
  • 10-15 drops fragrance made for skin usage (essential oils, most craft stores carry these)

Mix these ingredients in a bowl and voila!!! Your very own skin smoothing scrub.

*Tip-I like to get creative and add things around the kitchen like oatmeal and other time-tested ingredients. Get crazy with it and experiment, that's half the fun!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, "me time" is very essential isn't it? Why is that always such a hard lesson to learn? Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog - it really meant a lot to me and brought a big ole smile to my face! I love your work and am adding you to my blogroll! Happy Friday!!!
PS- I can't wait to try that scrub - sounds dee-lish!